Sunday, December 02, 2007

St Andrews Day Ball

I am an idiot. I went to the St. Andrews Day Ball at the Nile Hilton here in Cairo last night.... the dance floor was carpet (???!!!!) and I kicked off my lovely, suede soled, orangey/gold salsa shoes to dance and then wandered home at the end of the night and just discovered I left them behind (yes I had other shoes with me- didn't wander off barefoot!) Really hope they turn up in lost property tomorrow- fingers crossed!!!!

The Ball itself was ok. The meal wasn't what I would have expected for the ticket price and I was really disappointed there wasn't either haggis, or a Burns recital of any kind. The speeches were not loud enough or interesting enough... and the ceilidh band was good- but the caller wasn't the best I have ever seen and a few people wandered off down to the salsa night downstairs in 'Jazz up' because they just weren't following the dances enough to enjoy them, because of him. It was a band all the way over from Edinburgh too.

However, there were liqueurs pre and post dinner and wine and whiskey on each of the tables (probably the reason I left my shoes behind!) and the atmosphere was nice- lots of very friendly people. I really miss the Scottish humour living here!

It was also great to see men in kilts again- it's been a while!!!

Only thing lacking was having a bellydancer from Scotland perform in a tartan bellydance costume- now THAT would have been memorable!!!! He he
Me and my beautiful friends all dressed up for the ball....................

2 comments:

Kaydee said...

Hey darling.
Thanks for the wonderful blog posts. Reading them is an important part of my internet routine. I really miss attending workshops with you! I know I will see you again before long. Much much love and appreciation.

Lorna (aka BellyLorna!) said...

Maybe I should have added a counter onto this blog! It seems so many people are reading it on a regular basis all over the world- I feel honoured and a bit scared by that!!!!!!!!!

I miss having you in my workshops too Ya Kaydee- hurry back here eh?!!!